Mother’s Day Weekend

Mother’s Day is all about showing your mom how much you appreciate all she does for you. This Mother’s Day, Chris and I took my brother and sister to Mayne Island to visit my grandparents, as they had just moved over. Not only did that give my mom a weekend off, but my nan was overjoyed by spending the weekend with with her grandkids.

We woke up early on Saturday to make our reservation for the 8:30am ferry to the island. While Chris got ready I made sure the kids were up and dressed so we could run out the door.

When we arrived at the ferry, we had a little bit of time to kill. The four of us walked over to Starbucks to get a hot chocolate for the little ones, and lots of caffeine for Chris and I.

Eventually it was time to board the ferry. As soon as we were on board we went to the cafe for breakfast.

The ferry took about 2 hours. When we arrived at the cabin it was time to change, make a picnic lunch and head to the beach.

We spent the afternoon at the beach, making sand castles, swimming, looking for shells and having lunch. On our way back to the cabin, we had to stop to for bubblegum ice cream.

When we went back we spent time with my grandparents and relaxed. We talked for a few hours before deciding to get pizza for dinner. Madelyn and Ethan ate quickly because they wanted to go back to the beach to search for crabs.

They were disappointed when we arrived at the beach to find that the tide was all the way in. Chris and I promised to take them back in the morning. We stayed at the beach for a while skipping rocks before returning to the cabin to put them to bed.


When we woke up my grandparents had already cooked us a huge breakfast. We ate with everyone and then took Madelyn and Ethan down to the beach to search for crabs.

They had the best time at the beach. They overturned rocks and chased after the crabs before grabbing and putting them in their buckets. We spent over an hour at the beach before we went back to the cabin to get ready for our Mother’s Day lunch.

My mom and stepdad arrived just before 1pm and we went straight out to lunch. We went to a little inn where we sat outside overlooking the ocean. I ordered a margarita and fish and chips. It really felt like summer.

After lunch we went back to the cabin where we left my nan and granddad to rest while the six of us walked to the lighthouse. On the way we saw a huge snake on the side of the road.

When we were at the lighthouse, we looked for seals and the kids ran around the in the field. Out of nowhere it started to sprinkle so we decided to walk back before getting soaked.

We just weren’t quick enough. It started to rain harder and we had to run, stopping under tree cover on the way. Once we got back to the cabin, we changed, ate quickly and got ready to get the last ferry home.

It was a lovely weekend away spent with family, something my mom and nan really enjoyed.

Posted by

I am a journalism graduate with a passion for storytelling. I have a love for fashion and travel which brought to life Fashionable Travels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s